2023 UNESCO International Literacy Prizes for Innovation in Literacy.
UNESCO has opened its call for applications for the 2023 edition of the UNESCO International Literacy Prizes. It encourages all experts in literacy education to submit their applications and urge nominating organizations to recommend candidates from various parts of the globe.
As in the previous editions, six awards will be granted to individuals or organizations for their outstanding projects that promote literacy learning. For this year, the programmes are requested to reflect around the theme “Promoting literacy for a world in transition: Building the foundation for peaceful and sustainable societies”
The theme emphasizes how literacy plays a crucial role in empowering individuals and communities to adapt and establish peaceful and sustainable societies, especially during times of change and social, economic, and environmental challenges.
The UNESCO International Literacy Prizes have been acknowledging excellence and innovation in the field of literacy for more than 50 years. To date, over 512 projects and programmes across the globe have been recognized and supported for their exceptional contributions in this area.
- The application is open to all governments, non-governmental organizations and individuals who contribute to the promotion and advancement of literacy learning through projects and programmes.
- Applications should be submitted to the nominating entities either the National Commission for UNESCO in the programme’s country, or a NGO in official partnership with UNESCO, who are encouraged to submit the nominated individuals, institutions, and organizations to UNESCO. The nominations will be assessed by an independent International Jury, composed of five experts based on the selection criteria.
- Based on the recommendations of the International Jury, the Director-General of UNESCO will select the finalists to be awarded at the occasion of International Literacy Day on 8 September 2023.
For More Information:
- Deadline for candidates to submit applications to nominating entities: 28 June 2023 (midnight, Paris time).
- Deadline for nominating entities to submit their nominations to UNESCO: 12 July 2023 (midnight, Paris time).
Application Deadline: 12 July 2023